Saturday, November 19, 2011

Snail Mail Art

Snail Mail Art #8

Well, I made it past the one week mark. Tra, la, la. We're really moving now.

I'm sending art piece #8 to my sister Debra-Rettig Hannah. Debra is an artist in the studio as you might expect, but she also brings art spirit to her yard, the kitchen, the living room, and even the way she dresses. I am living in our childhood home that has a huge stone wrap-around porch and a big yard. When we were children all of the neighborhood kids wanted to go to the "big yard" to play, or if it were raining to the "big porch." Often we made hobby horses, paper dolls, large tissue paper flowers, etc. Debra wore the crown when it came to creating. All of my sisters and brother were creative but Debra had the edge to it. I pleaded with her to make my hobby horse when mine looked like a limp sock hanging off a broom handle. She taught me to knit and crochet and she could make fudge and cook. Me in the kitchen? Nope, you could find me reading a book. (I'd like to report that I make great fudge and can cook now.)

Debra's art is insanely original and her dolls and creatures are made with vintage fabrics and embellishments. I wanted to show a photo of one of her creations but I didn't get her permission before I was ready to post this. (Maybe in the future...) Visiting her house is like going to an artist's retreat. You leave refreshed, peaceful, and full of inspiration.

Namaste,
Darlene



Today she makes

No comments: