Friday, August 17, 2012

Practicing Watercolors


It is funny how you want to do something for years and don't. Then someone you met a few hours before on an artist site can say just the right thing to you at the right time (I call this universal power ) and poof! you give it a go. I'm talking about practicing with watercolors and the artist is Larry D Marshall. He says he just started drawing and painting a year ago. He said something so simple to me in response to my fear using watercolors. He said  they forgot to tell him the rules that watercolors were more difficult to work with than other mediums. He sees it as just putting color in areas of his sketches. And if I've used thinned acrylics it would have similar results. (Ah ha moment here) And as a result I painted two pages in my sketchbook today....using watercolors.

I'm using what I have. A Moleskine watercolor book and Koi tube watercolors, Prismacolor watercolor pencils, and Caran D'ache watercolor pencils. I will reward myself with professional quality paints and Stillman & Birn sketchbooks...oh, yes and several great pens. Until then it is time to do another sketch and painting. Watch out because I plan to sketch in public soon.

Visit Larry at : www.larrydmarshall.com  He has an informative and helpful article on which Stillman & Birns sketchbooks you'll want to use and why. Plus, you'll want to take a peek at his artwork.

Order Stllman & Birn Sketchbooks at: http://www.stillmanandbirn.com/

Namaste,
Darlene

2 comments:

Janet Ghio said...

Fabulous!! You inspire me to use my watercolor paints more!

roberto said...

Hi, Darlene, all decisions we make, when they have been neglected for a long time, for no reason, are good choices
Congratulations!