Saturday, September 22, 2012

Balancing the Day Job and All That


Text Reads: "I'll cancel your neuter appointment if you lick the dishes clean!"

Balancing the day job and domestic chores can sometimes move into the bargaining stage. (Hey, I say use whatever it takes to get to the writing or art table.) I have a maltese named Poe living with me and he is not neutered because he licks the dishes clean for me on my days off so I can focus on art and writing.

Joking aside, I do have to be aware of how I spend my time, otherwise I'd move in and out of my days simply cleaning, running errands, and going to the day job. I used to do all these things (nearly perfectly) with the idea that I'd write or paint AFTER. We've all heard other artists with the same stories. Flip it all around.....go to the writing desk or art table first, then go fold the laundry. (or not) And don't be shy about asking someone else in the house for help.

The other way I balance is to always carry some part of writing or art project with me. For example, at the day job I may be able to proof read a manuscript, or I may be able to do a very rough dummy sketch for a picture story. I always carry a little 4x6 sketchbook to record ideas, or to capture the idea of a sketch on paper. Sometimes doodling keeps me in the artistic spirit of things until I get home. And I never leave the house with out a book to read. 

Carrying artistic supplies with me reminds me of who I am beyond my art studio when I am bogged down with the demanding tasks and interactions of the day job. It keeps me smiling inside and doesn't allow this other part of the world I participate in to sneak in and take over. (because it will if you don't watch out for it...)

Before you start any housechore, etc. stand still, reflect, and ask yourself, "What is my intention?" This brings your attention up front. It helps identify what is and isn't truly important in the present moment before you proceed.

Let me know how you stay focused and balanced to keep the art and writing at the top of your agenda.

Namaste,
Darlene

4 comments:

Bev said...

Hi Darlene im lucky to be retired but i have 2 furbabies and u just gave me a great idea lol training starts tomorrow lol love this work...

hugz bev

Janet Ghio said...

LOL--I love this one!! So funny!!!

Darlene K Campbell said...

Bev, You're right. We could almost start a furry cleaning company. Thanks for stopping by. Glad you like it.

Darlene K Campbell said...

Hi Janet, Happy you are laughing with me. Always look forward to your visits and comments. Thanks.