Sunday, September 15, 2013

Still Making Marks with Seth Apter's "Surface Techniques"







This has been something like writing a book...page by page...chapter by chapter...then one day you write "The End." But, not yet with this project. (There's still more fun stuff to come.) I have finished with the final steps of mark making. Seth uses rub on letters in a raw and organic way that I liked but I couldn't find mine since I moved my studio into another room. So, I used India ink and a bamboo dip pen to make circles, half circles, lines, words, or parts of words and phrases. It doesn't have to make sense. I just want to instill a spirit and energy of a story there. I used a white Gelly roll pen to scribble designs or hi-lite certain areas. I used a woodless graphite 9B pencil to shadow or outline areas. And the final step was to spatter some grey paint across it all. I have never spattered paint before...not on purpose...and now I see why Seth said this was one of his favorite steps.

I like an instructional video that you can work from step by step, or pull out components of it and zig-zag all over the place. I've been able to do that with this DVD by following his techniques for the art piece as a whole, but substituting materials I had in my studio and still getting similar and great results. 

What's next with this project?
We cut it up.
What? All of that work and you cut it up?
See my next post to see why....

Cheers,
Darlene

2 comments:

Jackie said...

Can't wait to see the next chapter!!!

Darlene K Campbell said...

HI Jackie...And I can't wait to work on the next part. We'll have to talk on hte phone so I can chat about it in more detail.