Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Illustration Ideas Come From Many Sources


My illustration ideas come from many sources. Sometimes I go to outer space to get them. It's not very cost effective but the results are good. Most often they come from simply paying attention to what is going on around me. I observe something, I hear something, or I can even smell something that may trigger an idea. The trick is to record it immediately. Use a paper napkin, a receipt...whatever you can get your hands on. If you're like me you always have a Moleskine journal with you to use.

This illustration was inspired from a photo I saw recently. I'm taking an online class with Celeste and she had posted a photo of herself on a trip where a bird had chomped her hat. I asked her if I could use her image for an illustration and she said yes. So here you go Celeste.....thank you for letting me use your image.

Cheers-
Darlene

4 comments:

Craig Pirrall said...

I'm terrible about this. I always think of great ideas when I'm out, but when I get home I spend extended periods of time staring at a blank page, or a blank screen. The sad thing is, with the note taking apps on my phone, I have no excuse.

JackieP Neal said...

yes, writing that thought down instantly is the key- and if you can't keep your moleskin out at work
sneak it in your purse or lunchpail!!
Darlene, another fabulous illustration and what a hoot- eating her hat! As usual the Zebra is center stage with his groovy glasses! xo

Darlene Campbell said...

Craig, put some index cards in your pocket and have a go at recording those great ideas when you're out and about. I often surprise myself when I review notes and think, Aha, I would've forgotten that if I wouldn't have written it down. Thanks for stopping by my blog.
Cheers-
Darlene

Darlene Campbell said...

Hmmm, Jackie...obviously I shared with you about getting in trouble at work for writing in my Moleskine. Ha ha