Sunday, July 27, 2014

White Paint in Your Watercolor Palette? Throw it Away!


This dog character is inspired by a white Maltese dog I love named Poe. But, ugh! I never use the white paint in a watercolor set. What to do other than outline in black and let the white paper show through? I wanted him to have more texture and show some shadow for his hair.

I outline with a black pen. This was a Micron 01. Then I use a CARAN d'DACHE NEOCOLOR II in Silver Grey. I wet the brush and slide it against the tip of the crayon to pick up the color to paint with. Let this dry and add TULIP Slick Dimensional Fabric Paint in White. This photo doesn't show it very well. I like the contrast of shiny-dimensional paint in this illustration because I want the attention on the dog.

(Prisma colored Pencil with watercolors is another way to go.)

I'd love to hear any ideas you have,

Cheers-
Darlene

3 comments:

JackieP Neal said...

and why not use gesso? glop it on, let it dry, add some more glops where needed! Then outline with your pen!

Darlene Campbell said...

Ah yes, Jackie...gesso. Thanks!Which leads me to molding paste...just a bit here and there. I'll have to experiment.

Catherine said...

Hi Darlene,

I've just discovered your blog through Traci Bautista's Facebook page and her daily printmaking unleashed challenge. I love your illustrations - you have such a lovely individual style. I didn't discover the daily challenge until recently so I'm trying to do 3 or 4 a day to catch up. I live in the north-east of Scotland and I'm currently doing a City and Guilds embroidery course online with Distant Stitch.

Catherine Slater.