Tuesday, February 10, 2015

The World Will Spin Without You If...


Years ago, I created this little art book to capture regret. I don't like to play the game of regret too much (something about how that emotion can tie us to the past and keep us from being in the present.) Although making this book helped me to quiet those emotions and lock them into art expression on these pages. Let it be done. Keep it simple.


It just takes basic materials to make a little book.


"The world will spin without you if you don't choose."

I could've, should've, would've worn the gold crown for many things...if I would've chosen to. Sometimes we just don't know how to move forward. Young people need creative mentors and real life experiences to bring their purpose alive more than a college degree.

Cover of the book.
 

 "Once upon a time a college professor told her she had exceptional talent and her short story should become a novel, but she didn't know what to make of it, so she did nothing."



"Once upon a time she was invited to go to Paris to study drama, she didn't know what to make of it, so she did nothing."
I used a dremel to scratch in words. My maiden name is Rettig. On the opposite page I scratched in the words "Regret." It was quite enjoyable to use a dremel to write that word over and over.



"Once upon a time she got kicked out of college for a semester, she didn't know what to make of it, so she did nothing."
She let "They" win and never went back.



"The world will spin without you if you don't choose."


Note: I'm happy to report I didn't stay in that "not choosing" phase forever. Today I don't care about the college degree, (some of my favorite talented people got kicked out of college (Kurt Vonnegut for one), I'm painting, I'm writing and illustrating books, I haven't been to Paris...at least not yet!

Cheers,
Darlene

14 comments:

owen swain said...

Well said. Very true.

Lynn Cohen said...

Your creativity knows no bounds! This book is sheer delight! I love your "regrets" or your life experiences (I dropped out of college at 19, couldn't hack it then)(did go back MUCH later, but that's not for everyone and that's okay too) Paris is there when ever you are ready. Lots of sweet smaller villages too, around St. Mont Michel. I recommend them as much or more than Paris. Call me when you are ready to go and I'll give you tips. LOVE YOUR ART!! ALL OF IT!!!

Anonymous said...

You little book is lovely and very poignant. I can relate to it on so many levels. I have also experienced regret over lost opportunities due to my own paralysis. And like you I have mostly grown out of it. But, yes, it is hard to realize that many possibilities are once and never again. I love your work. You seem to be such a richly creative person in so many different areas. I know you will continue to make wonderful things happen on whatever path you take.

Kristin O. said...

And on this journey you've done something quite wonderful; you're joyous and creative and inspiring. I can't wait to meet you in person some day. And this--Quebec feels like Paris (grand and delicious and charming), but you can drive there. I hope you go. Please do. More inspiration for my talented artist friend. Tu est fantastique, Darlene! Cheers, Kristin O.

Darlene Campbell said...

Hey Linda Not sure how you showed up as anonymous) ha ha, happy you let me know it was you.
Owen, Lynn, Linda and Kristin,you made me cry with your heartfelt comments. Such meaning and care captured here. Merci! Loved what you said so much I rewrote it in my grateful journal so I can re-read and be inspired again. You are the mentors I needed long ago. Great friends you are. Kristin-yes, Quebec & meeting you is a perfect idea.
Hugs and Cheers-Darlene

Vicki said...

I love the message in your great little book, Darlene. You are an inspiration on so many levels. xoxVicki

BumbleVee said...

Hi Darlene... I noticed you on Lynne's blog ..because I am searching for info on Danielle's class about the little houses on stilts. I took two of her classes last year.
You mentioned that you, too, were re-visiting info on the class. Are we somehow able to access the videos again? or were you clever and wrote down some of the info and painting techniques? Needless to say I didn't ...and I don't even remember how to begin a year after the fact....

Veronica
ps ..perhaps you could email me if you know anything about my query.

vphilion@telus.net

BumbleVee said...

me again Darlene....I found it! It took me a while of hopping around ..but, finally figured it out on Jeanne's ning page....I was there 3 times before I figured out how to access things.... whew..... boy, now I just want to play with paints..... and, ...no time ...hahhahaha... it took a while to go through the video and, make a few notes this time.....

happy painting....
V.

owen swain said...

BumbleVee,
If you are referring to any # Sketchbookskool klass you've taken simply sign in to the Ruzuku website with your existing username and password and everything will still be there waiting for you :)

JackieP Neal said...

Darlene,
Your book is fabulous my favorite! I love everything about it-the best part knowing you and the story behind it! Well done my friend! xoxo

Darlene Campbell said...

Owen she is talking about Jeanne Oliver's site and a workshop by Danielle Donaldson there., but thanks for your help. Sorry I didn't see this sooner Veronica. Yes, sounds like we can access for a year. Are you taking her newest class on Storybook? If so I'll see you there. I agree how it was hard to find the link to actually get into the videos.

Jane Wilson said...

Darlene, great and honest (and unfortunately familiar) thoughts! I am finding at my advanced age that there are a lot of regrets we bury and they sometimes reach their bony hands up and point at us accusingly. I think perhaps acknowledging them and sending them on their way in a fabulous book is a great thing to do. They say if one door closes another one opens, and you have shown that is true. Your zebra makes me laugh and I think he would have a thing or two to say about that. Jane from SBS

Linda Tennant said...

Darlene, what a wonderful book. You're an inspiration, again and again!

mamancass4 said...

Hi Darlene, I see France in your future. Ok I can see France out the window. It looks kind of cold out today. I like this idea of creating a regret book. Well actually I love all of your ideas.